- Mittelbau-Dorasearch for term
Established in August 1943 as a subsidiary of the Buchenwald concentration camp, this facility was originally named Dora. The camp for men, located near Nordhausen in the Harz Mountains, provided labor for the production of V-2 rockets in underground factories. Renamed Mittelbau, this concentration camp became independent in November 1944. Of 60,000 prisoners from 40 countries used for forced labor at Mittelbau-Dora, more than 20,000 were killed because of brutal conditions.